Posted: 5:14 pm Monday, February 4th, 2008
By Post Staff
Let’s start with the girls, because it’s our final top 10 of the year, and you girls hoops fans love to talk.
1. Palm Beach Lakes (22-5) Rams have what it takes to make a big playoff run
2. Atlantic (24-4) Should be able to hold off Boca, set up game against Lakes
3. Fort Pierce Central (21-4) Made a big statement by winning its district
4. Cardinal Newman (19-5) Playing its best ball in time for the playoffs
5. Jensen Beach (21-5) Routed Suncoast, rebounding from slow start
6. Pahokee (15-3) Fell to Newman, now has to play a tough Plantation-Heritage team
7. Suncoast (21-6) Tough road ahead for talented but injury-plagued team
8. West Boca Raton (18-9) After playing well in recent weeks, Bulls were routed in district finals
9. Lake Worth Christian (16-10) State’s top ranked 1A team barely beat Trinity
10. Olympic Heights (15-8) Area’s surprise team down the stretch won its district
On the bubble: Trinity Christian (16-4), King’s Academy (19-7) Boynton Beach (19-8)
Lakes and Atlantic were clearly the No. 1 and No. 2 team, and after that it’s up for debate. It’s really unfortunate for Suncoast that Ariana Jackson is hurt, because she’s one of the area’s top players and would have given Suncoast a legit chance at a state title…..
The No. 10 spot was also tough. I considered Olympic, Trinity and King’s all for No. 10. Ultimately I went with Heights because it won a 4A district and played really good ball after winter break. I considered Trinity at No. 10, because the Warriors came ohhhh so close to defeating LWC (wait ’till that regional semifinal, it’s going to be war…), but it wouldn’t be fair to King’s, because King’s defeated Trinity…. King’s should make a run in 2A, but I still felt better going with a 4A district champ in the 10 spot.
BOYS TOP 10 (straight from the mind of The Steve Dorsey)
1. Dwyer / 22-2 / Stays here despite loss to Jupiter.
2. Martin County / 21-1 / Only loss is to Dwyer.
3. Boca Raton / 18-7 / Has bye into district semifinals.
4. Santaluces / 21-4 / Could meet Boca in district finals.
5. Palm Beach Lakes / 17-6 / Top seed in tough 6A district.
6. Palm Beach Gardens / 22-3 / No. 2 seed behind Lakes in district.
7. Jupiter / 19-6 / Could meet Gardens in district semis.
8. Grandview Prep / 22-1 / Should breeze to district title.
9. St. Andrew’s / 21-3 / Should reach district final.
10. Summit Christian / 21-4 / Can’t look past district semis to Benjamin.
On the bubble: Benjamin (21-3).
Seems like it’s going to be a pretty sick district tournament, especially in 9-6A where one of our top 10 (Gardens, Lakes, Jupiter) will definitely be knocked out before regional. Who will it be?