Posted: 9:50 am Wednesday, February 6th, 2008
By Post Staff
Plenty of news to get to this morning. First let’s talk about what’s going on in Palm Beach County.
Signing this morning:
– American Heritage: DB Dominique Battle (Cincinnati), QB Justin Feagin (Michigan) and TE Alex Gottlieb (William & Mary) were expected to sign letters of intent between 8-9 a.m.
– Fort Pierce Westwood OL Ian Osking will be signing with Jacksonville at 9 a.m.
– Royal Palm Beach: RB Ernest Ferguson (Iowa State) and OL Randy Richards (Florida Atlantic) are expected to sign at 8:30 a.m.
– Dwyer: LB Kevin Hamlin should be signing with Iowa State at 11:30 a.m., but as many as three other Panthers could be signing with teams.
– Atlantic: S Karnell Hatcher (LSU) and DB Jon Lejiste (South Florida) will likely sign at a
10 a.m. ceremony, but as many as seven other Eagles could be signing as well.
– West Boca: All four recruits should be signing at a 10 a.m. ceremony: TE Nathan Nord (Louisville), LB Mike Ross (Army), LB Joe Trebitz (Pittsburgh) and WR Marquell Bernard (Robert Morris).
– Okeechobee: Is holding a ceremony at 10 a.m., but it is not yet known whether DB Leshawn Henderson and LB Tim Williams will pick Marshall or Syracuse.
– Lake Worth: QB Star Jackson (Alabama), OL Joe Looney (Wake Forest) and WR Brad Pierre (Fordham) should be signing at a noon ceremony.
– South Fork: Will Claunch (Columbia) should sign at a noon ceremony, while DL Ben Kelsey also could sign with an Ivy League school.
– Palm Beach Central: OL Danous Estenor will be signing with South Florida at 2 p.m.
There will likely be other signings today, and we will post them when they come in.
Here’s what’s going on in Florida and the rest of the country . . .
– The University of Miami may have to change its name to the University of Miami-Northwestern. After signing four more Northwestern Bulls on Wednesday morning — wide receivers Tommy Streeter and Kendal Thompkins and offensive linemen Brandon Washington and Benjamin Jones — the Canes have now signed nine players from Northwestern’s undefeated, state and national championship-winning team.
– Several outlets are reporting that Jeannette, Pa. quarterback Terrelle Pryor, one of the top two or three prospects in the country who stands 6-foot-6, 225 pounds and runs a 4.4 40-yard dash, likely won’t be signing a letter of intent today. He’s scheduled to make an announcement live on ESPNU at 12:05, and while he still may go on the air, Rivals.com reports that Pryor still wants to take an official visit with Penn State. His other top suitors are Ohio State and Michigan, with Oregon a long shot at this point.
– Lakeland-Lake Gibson center Ricky Barnum, was supposed to be Gainesville-bound. Instead he switched to Michigan and coach Rich Rodriguez at the last minute. That’s the first recruit lost by Florida’s Big 3 today.
– Meanwhile, offensive guard Josh Jenkins from West Virginia, considered by many among the top OL prospects in the country, stuck with his commitment to West Virginia even though Rodriguez left for Michigan. He was considering FSU.
– Speaking of FSU, Jacksonville-First Coast RB Jermaine Thomas will be signing with the Noles after all, despite a late run by LSU.
– Ventura, Calif.’s Darrell Scott, considered by many the top RB in the country, looks like he’ll be picking Colorado over Texas today, though it’s still not 100 percent certain.
That’s enough for now. Check back in a bit for an inside look at the University of Miami.