Posted: 4:31 pm Tuesday, May 19th, 2009

16 of Trinity Christian’s 17 players suspended 

By Jason Lieser

Trinity Christian catcher Phildrick Llewellyn, the player who was knocked to the dirt in Friday’s fight between the Warriors and Brito Miami Private, is the only player on his team’s current roster eligible to play this week.

The Florida High School Athletic Association has informed Trinity Christian that the five players ejected from Friday’s game are suspended for four games, including the one they sat out Saturday. The rest of the roster, minus Llewellyn, is suspended two games.


Trinity Christian will be allowed to compete if it can field a team. JV players are eligible, but the school will have to pay $50 per player to add them to the official roster. If the Warriors cannot dress at enough players, they will forfeit Wednesday and be eliminated from the state playoffs.

Coach Miguel Cuello, who already has his team checked into their hotel rooms in Port St. Lucie, was upset with the FHSAA’s decision.

“That makes no sense at all,” Cuello said. “To me the whole thing makes no sense. I just think it’s ridiculous.

“Even if that’s the case, why not do it yesterday? Why wait? We’re here at the hotel and the money’s spent. It’s not free.”

Cuello called up three JV players for Saturday’s Game 3 against Brito, and has a total of 10 in his program.

He did not go so far as to say his team will forfeit, but shot down the idea of playing a state semifinal game with a mostly JV roster.

“I’m not going to do that,” he said Tuesday afternoon. “That’s ridiculous. Why would I want to do that? Even if I had 10 guys, there’s no reason we’re going to do that.

“I don’t know what we’ll do.”

Cuello backed down from that comment later Tuesday night.

The next step could be in court. Cuello cited a recent scenario where the Vero Beach lacrosse team was disqualified from the state tournament but obtained a legal injunction against the ruling and continued player.

Athletic director Fred Erdman said he is discussing options with school principal Cindy Ansell, but declined further comment.