Posted: 12:43 am Saturday, August 28th, 2010
By Jeff Greer
There’s nothing like that serene ride back from the Glades. Feels like you can see all the way to the end of the earth.
But tonight, I was too busy thinking about Pahokee-Jupiter Christian to let my mind wander. Here are five key thoughts from tonight’s game:
1. Pahokee is inexperienced … very inexperienced. Duh. We knew that. Coach Blaze Thompson set that tone the first day of practice and hasn’t changed his mantra. That youth showed tonight for the Blue Devils. They had multiple penalties break their momentum time and time again. Those and other mistakes put them at a huge disadvantage, and they couldn’t dig out.
2. Trey Pendergrass is entertaining. I know it’s only one game, but I was most impressed by Pendergrass. He has that ability to get lost among the trees and then pop out with a head of steam. He did that a couple times tonight before cramping up. His 80-yard touchdown was electrifying, complete with a few missed tackles and primetime cutbacks.
3. Next week’s Jupiter Christian-Glades Day game will be fun. Another duh thought, right? I’ll be watching Glades Day in, oh, about 15 hours. I saw the Eagles tonight. I’m hoping this will help me one-up Porter in our predictions next week.
4. Don’t count Pahokee out after one game. I have to be honest — tonight was bad. It was a drubbing and there’s no way around it. Pahokee took 30 game minutes to establish any offensive rhythm and at that point, Jupiter Christian had one eye on the field and one eye on the clock.
All that said, there were flashes. Jamal Dortch can be a very good running back for Pahokee, and Feraris Golden could join Dortch to create a shifty-as-heck running attack. If only the Blue Devils could shake those penalties …
5. Always bring bug spray to Pahokee. I did tonight. Best decision I’ve ever made. That first day of practice was brutal. It’s only been a month but I am learning. Next time I won’t wear white — or, after tonight, gray — Pumas.
Hope everyone had a great opening night. I know I did. Something about that football smell, the crisp autumn air … it just feels right, doesn’t it?
Anyway, follow me on Twitter @jeffgreer for updates tomorrow as I head up to Daytona Beach for Glades Central and Glades Day. Games are at noon and 3, respectively, so start looking for updates around 11:30. See you all tomorrow.