Posted: 3:40 pm Thursday, September 30th, 2010
By Jeff Greer
I spent Tuesday and Wednesday contacting juniors and seniors in the area about their recruiting process. The updates go hand-in-hand with our recent update of the recruiting Big Board. We now have a top 50, and players were moved up and down the board.
I’m listing things in Tweet form, because I already Tweeted this stuff. Follow me on Twitter for regular updates on area recruits …
- Giorgio Newberry (No. 5 on the Big Board) committed to Florida State on Sunday night.
- According to Mark Stampini, an area recruitnik, a group of Glades Central players will go to Florida’s game against LSU on Oct. 9.
- According to Rivals.com’s Chris Nee, Florida State’s basketball coaching staff gave two-sport star Jacoby Brissett (Dwyer quarterback and No. 4 on the Big Board) a lot of attention during Brissett’s Tallahassee visit.
- Top-ranked recruit Nick O’Leary, Dwyer’s star tight end, was with Brissett at FSU on Saturday.
- Jupiter Christian running back Trey Pendergrass (No. 12 on the Big Board) says Fordham, Murray State and Yale have recently contacted him. The senior tailback has 487 rushing yards and seven touchdowns, and he already has a scholarship offer from FCS school Eastern Illinois.
- Boca Raton kicker/punter David Bicknell (No. 34 on the Big Board) has one scholarship offer from Minnesota.
- Junior Angelo Jean-Louis, Palm Beach Central’s highly touted receiver, says he has gotten heavy interest from Miami, Ohio State, LSU, FSU, Southern Cal, WVU, UCF, Marshall and “a lot more.”
- Another talented junior, Seminole Ridge running back Gary Holmes, said he thoroughly enjoyed his visit to Florida when the Gators beat Kentucky, 48-14. Asked where UF rates among the schools he’s seen so far, Holmes said, “the best.” Holmes has 349 rushing yards and eight touchdowns for fourth-ranked Seminole Ridge (4-0).
- Glades Central receiver Davonte Allen (No. 17 on the Big Board) said he has offers from Iowa State, Rutgers, WVU, USF, Marshall, FIU, FAU, Western Kentucky and Bowling Green. The senior said WVU, USF and Marshall are in the lead for now.
- Herve Coby, No. 16 on the Big Board and American Heritage’s standout receiver, said Minnesota, WVU, Cincinnati, Illinois, Wake Forest and “many more” have offered him a scholarship. Ole Miss and Michigan have also expressed interest.
- According to Forest Hill coach Chris Kokell, senior cornerback Erron Watson visited FIU this past weekend. Kokell said he’s spoken to Rutgers and James Madison about Watson.
- Glades Central defensive end Robert Way, who broke the Raiders’ single-season sack record last year, has offers from Syracuse and Marshall. Way (No. 8 on the Big Board) also has offers from Buffalo, FAU, FIU and Hampton.
- Dwyer tailback Shawn McClaine (23rd on the Big Board) said he has spoken to Kansas and Kentucky, but doesn’t have any offers.
- Second-ranked recruit Curt Maggitt, Dwyer’s standout defensive end, will visit Alabama for the Crimson Tide’s game against Florida on Saturday.
- Glades Day receiver/cornerback Eaton Spence (No. 46 on the Big Board) said he has offers from Illinois, Marshall, FIU, Western Kentucky, Western Michigan, Buffalo, Northern Illinois and Eastern Michigan.