Posted: 7:17 pm Tuesday, February 1st, 2011

New Mexico pulls offer for Lake Worth DT Junior Estelus 

By Matt Porter

Updated Wednesday, Feb. 2 at 7:34 a.m. | Some high school recruits are learning they don’t necessarily hold the cards when it comes to their college choice.

Wednesday, Lake Worth planned to celebrate senior defensive tackle Junior Estelus signing a letter of intent to play at New Mexico.

But Monday night, the school pulled its scholarship offer for Estelus. New Mexico decided to offer another defensive tackle instead, Lake Worth coach Errick Lowe said in a text message to the Post.

“They went with a [junior college] kid,” Lowe said.

Lowe said Estelus will instead sign with Western Michigan.

Last week, New Mexico drew the ire of coaches and players at one Tampa-area school after pulling a recruit’s offer. Lobos coach Mike Locksley told the St. Pete Times his school informs recruits that scholarship offers are “first-come, first-serve.”

Locksley characterized his school’s position on scholarship offers as a game of musical chairs. “We’ve got three people around one chair and the first one that sits gets it,” he said.

Fort Pierce Westwood linebacker Wonderful Monds knows the feeling of being left out. He was left standing alone after his flirtation with Kansas.

The Jayhawks offered Monds last summer, and Monds decided to wait. Kansas called Monds weekly, and when Monds declined to commit after several weeks, the school rescinded its offer. Monds is now considering Buffalo, among other schools.

As for Estelus, Lowe said there are hurt feelings, but the 6-foot-2, 275-pound senior would bounce back.

“We will wait till after signing day and something will come for him,” Lowe said.