Posted: 5:40 pm Monday, November 7th, 2011
By Matt Porter
The who, what, when and where of the FHSAA state bowling finals, which begin Tuesday in Orlando:
What: FHSAA bowling state finals
When: Tuesday, Wednesday
Where: Boardwalk Bowl, Orlando (directions)
* Jupiter senior Nick Speanburg, who became the first Palm Beach County state champion bowler last year as a junior, can become the first Florida bowler to repeat as state champion. Speanburg was a state runner-up as a sophomore.
* Other boys’ individual qualifiers: sophomore Dylan Fink (Suncoast), Damon Morra (Atlantic), Christopher Reid (Centennial), Matthew Schiller (Park Vista) and Benny Zambito (Royal Palm Beach).
* Defending state champion Palm Beach Central was upset by Speanburg’s Jupiter squad in District 13. Central had won five district titles in a row. The top two teams in each district qualify for states.
* Boys team qualifiers: Boca Raton (Palm Beach County champion), Jupiter, Lincoln Park, Martin County, Palm Beach Central, Spanish River.
* Girls team qualifiers: Boca Raton, Dwyer, Martin County, Palm Beach Central, Park Vista (Palm Beach County champion), Port St. Lucie.
* The top girls individual is Park Vista senior Jamie Gray, who will make her fourth trip to states. She won her first individual district title.
* Other girls individual qualifiers: Kaitlyn Benedict (Santaluces), Allison Boettcher (Jensen Beach), Jessica Davis (Cardinal Newman), Abbi Meshulam (Suncoast), Samantha Stephenson (Spanish River), Rachel Vaughn (Centennial).