Posted: 8:24 pm Monday, February 27th, 2012
By Matt Porter
Jupiter may lose five wins, meaning the Post‘s preseason No. 1 team may be saddled with a 1-6 record instead of 6-1.
The problem: The Warriors played the first five games of the season with a player who the program later learned was ineligible. According to head coach Andy Mook, the player lived in Martin County and thus was falsely registered for Jupiter High.
Mook said he discovered the situation last Tuesday and brought it to his administration’s attention. Mook said the player’s family would establish residency in Jupiter’s attendance boundary. Once he re-registers with the school, the player must wait six days before he is eligible to play.
“He’s been withdrawn out of Jupiter High,” Mook said. “Now he’s moving into the zone and he’s going to be back with the team.”
According to Mook, the player was on the team for its first five games, against American Heritage, Suncoast, Santaluces, Palm Beach Central and South Fork. He was removed from the team for last week’s win over Cardinal Newman and district loss to Dwyer.
Jupiter, which plays Treasure Coast on Tuesday, has district games against Palm Beach Gardens and Wellington next week.
“I’m hoping we don’t lose the five victories,” Mook said. “Those kids deserve those wins. To get them taken away, it really stinks on that aspect. But if we are 1-6, we still have 18 games to go.”
“We can’t dwell on anything negative. All you’re going to do is lose focus of the overall [goal].”
Of note: Despite having played two district opponents, Jupiter is still 0-1 in District 9-8A. Its Santaluces Slam game against Palm Beach Central, a district opponent, is not considered a district game. The teams will meet later in the season for a home-and-home series. Those games will count toward district standings.