Posted: 5:02 pm Tuesday, July 10th, 2012
By Matt Porter
Let’s start here: It’s safe to say this will be a pretty good year for recruiting in Palm Beach County.
The nation’s consensus top two running backs play here along with three big-time defensive tackles. There’s plenty of depth, too. Last year, Palm Beach County and the Treasure Coast produced 40 FBS signees. The 35 high schools in Palm Beach County alone could exceed that this year.
Here are the the top 25 recruits in Palm Beach County after spring ball and several camps, as selected by Jeff and me. We’ll expand the list after fall practice and again at the mid-point of the season. Also, The Big Board page on PBGametime.com has been turned over from 2012 to 2013.
Players are listed by name, future college position and school. Underneath that is their height and weight, commitment status and/or notable offers.
1. Kelvin Taylor, RB, Glades Day
5-11, 216. Committed to Florida.
2. Greg Bryant, RB, American Heritage
5-11, 200. Committed to Oklahoma.
3. Will Likely, CB, Glades Central
5-7, 172. Undeclared. Offers include Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Purdue, USF, USC.
4. Jaynard Bostwick, DT, Centennial
6-4, 290. Undeclared. Offers include Cincinnati, FIU, Florida, Miami, Notre Dame, Oklahoma.
5. Keith Bryant, DT, Atlantic
6-2, 292. Committed to Miami.
6. Roderick Johnson, OT, American Heritage
6-6, 315. Committed to Florida.
7. Kyle Shortridge, DT, Seminole Ridge
6-2, 280. Undeclared. Offers include Wake Forest, Boise State, Texas A&M, Mississippi State.
8. Malik Brown, DE, Dwyer
6-3, 207. Undeclared. Offers include Illinois, Mississippi State, Purdue, South Florida, Syracuse.
9. Marcus Davis, ATH, American Heritage
5-10, 175. Undeclared. Offers include Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, West Virginia.
10. Marcus Levy, RB, Fort Pierce Central
5-11, 185. Undeclared. Offers include Boise State, Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple.
11. Rayfield Dixon, LB, Seminole Ridge
6-3, 192. Undeclared. Offers include Minnesota, Purdue, Wake Forest, West Virginia.
12. Kevin Anderson, QB, Boca Raton
6-2, 200. Undeclared. Offers include Illinois State, Jacksonville State, Marshall.
13. James Looney, DT, Lake Worth
6-3, 260. Undeclared. Offers include Marshall, Minnesota, South Florida, Wake Forest.
14. Frank Brown, WR, Palm Beach Gardens
5-11, 175. Undeclared. Tulane offer.
15. Joe Figueroa, S, Fort Pierce Central
5-11, 180. Undeclared. Offers include Bowling Green, Harvard, Memphis, Northern Illinois.
16. Matt Burke, TE, Cardinal Newman
6-6, 215. Undeclared. Offers include Boise State, FIU, Marshall, UMass, San Diego State.
17. Tyler Provo, FB, American Heritage
6-2, 230. Committed to Syracuse.
18. Brisly Estime, S, Atlantic
5-9, 165. Undeclared. Offers include Purdue, Cincinnati, FAU, FIU, Iowa State.
19. Aaron Baker, RB/LB, Glades Central
5-10, 205. Undeclared.
20. Deandre Bozeman, CB, Dwyer
5-9, 155. Undeclared.
21. Jonathan Moxey, CB, Dwyer
5-10, 160. Undeclared. Offers include Western Kentucky.
22. Ray Wilson, RB, Palm Beach Central
5-9, 180. Undeclared.
23. Xavier Swinton, S, American Heritage
6-1, 180. Undeclared. Offers include Bowling Green, FAU, Miami (Ohio), Tulane.
24. Darrion Richardson, S, American Heritage
5-11, 180. Undeclared. Offers include Cincinnati, FAU, Marshall, UMass, Western Michigan.
25. Lloyd Howard, ATH, Palm Beach Central
5-7, 170. Undeclared. FAU offer.
* * *
OK, now come the wet-blanket words of caution.
This list is based on a nebulous formula of a player’s recruiting interest and performance in their high school careers thus far. It’s fluid and should look vastly different at the end of the year, as players heat up and cool off. Since we see more Palm Beach County football than anyone, we feel comfortable using a bit of gut feeling when we have to. It’s inexact, far from perfect; like any subjective list like it, it should be taken as an opinion piece. Our goal, by the end of the year, is to have a proper representation of the best players in this year’s signing class.
Thoughts? Arguments? The floor is yours.