Posted: 11:29 am Saturday, October 5th, 2013
By Anthony Chiang
In a week that was littered with big district matchups, teams started to separate themselves from the rest of the pack.
Dwyer rolled over Royal Palm Beach to continue their perfect season. Pahokee pulled off a big victory over American Heritage to claim the driver’s seat in the race for the District 7-3A title. Cardinal Newman handed King’s Academy’s its first loss of the season. Palm Beach Gardens took a big step toward winning District 9-8A with a victory over Seminole Ridge. Are you out of breath yet? I hope not. There’s more. Fort Pierce Central made a statement by beating Vero Beach.
Here are the headlines on PBGametime from all of the Week 6 action:
* Pahokee blocked a late game-tying field goal attempt to shock American Heritage and grab control of District 7-3A. (Game Report)
* Park Vista’s defense dominated in a convincing win over John I. Leonard. (Game Report)
* In other games, Cardinal Newman blew by King’s Academy … Atlantic squeaked out a victory over Olympic Heights … Jupiter opened district play with a victory over Wellington … Finally, find the rest of the recaps from Friday’s games in a full roundup.
In addition to all of that coverage, we have a new and improved mobile PBGametime site, which you can check out on your phones at m.pbgametime.com.
How did the Post’s Top 10 teams far?
1. Dwyer (6-0): Beat Royal Palm Beach 40-14.
2. Fort Pierce Central (5-0): Beat Vero Beach 27-21.
3. Park Vista (4-1): Beat John I. Leonard 34-0.
4. American Heritage (3-3): Lost to Pahokee 13-10.
5. Glades Central (3-2): Beat Pembroke Pines-Somerset Academy 35-0.
6. Pahokee (4-1): Beat American Heritage 13-10.
7. Seminole Ridge (2-3): Lost to Palm Beach Gardens 40-28.
8. Royal Palm Beach (3-2): Lost to Dwyer 40-14.
9. Boynton Beach (6-0): Beat Pembroke Pines Charter 42-0.
10. King’s Academy (4-1): Lost to Cardinal Newman 35-7.
With King’s Academy, Royal Palm Beach and Seminole Ridge losing, there could be a couple new teams in next week’s Top 10. How far will Pahokee jump after its statement victory over American Heritage? How close will Boynton Beach get to the Top 5. The top three should not change after No. 1 Dwyer, No. 2 Fort Pierce Central and No. 3 Park Vista won their games.
1. Is Pahokee back?
It sure looks like it. The Blue Devils made a huge statement by beating American Heritage. With the win, Pahokee is in the driver’s seat for the District 7-3A title. Still, the Blue Devils have a very tough schedule in front of them, as they have non-district games against Seminole Ridge, Boca Raton and Glades Central remaining. The way that Blaze Thompson’s team responds to this big victory over the Stallions will tell us a lot about this season’s Pahokee team. But so far, so good for the Blue Devils.
2. Remember when people were worried about Dwyer entering the season?
Neither do I. After the Panthers fell to Miami Central 44-13 in a preseason exhibition game, many were concerned about Dwyer. I’m guessing that those people aren’t too concerned right now. The Panthers have outscored their opponents by a combined score of 250-34 on their way to a 6-0 record this season. Dwyer looks to be the best team in Palm Beach County by a good amount and they should cruise to an undefeated regular season behind an offense that is averaging 42 points per game.
3. What is wrong with Seminole Ridge?
For the second consecutive week, we are left asking this question. The Hawks fell to Palm Beach Gardens in a big district game Friday, losing their third straight contest. Coach Scott Barnwell was visibly frustrated after the game and I can’t blame him. The problems for Seminole Ridge stem from its defense, as the unit has allowed 32 points per game during their three-game skid. Not many teams can win games with that number being so high. The Hawks should still make the playoffs, as they should be favored in their two remaining district games against Wellington and Jupiter. But there are definitely issues that the Hawks need to address before the regular season is over.
4. The Muck Bowl should be fun
Well, it’s always fun. But everything that has happened up to this point makes the game even that much more interesting. Pahokee looks strong this year after pulling off an upset over American Heritage to move to 4-1. And Glades Central has bounced back nicely from a 1-2 start with two straight wins. Both teams have to play very difficult schedules before their matchup on Nov. 8, so things could change in a hurry. But right now, I can’t wait until these two teams face each other in the Muck Bowl.
How’d Jeff and Anthony do?
Jeff’s predictions record: 21-5
Best pick: Jeff was so close. South Fork earned a 41-0 victory over Fort Pierce Westwood and he predicted a final score of 42-0. That missed extra point will get you.
Anthony’s predictions record: 21-5
Best pick: For the second consecutive week, I nailed a final score. I picked Clewiston to beat Avon Park 49-7 and that’s what the score ended up being.
About the Author
Anthony Chiang began his writing career in Gainesville at the University of Florida’s student-run newspaper. At The Independent Florida Alligator, he covered the school’s golf, volleyball, baseball, and football teams. The Miami native has also written for the Sun Sentinel and MLB.com, following the Tampa Bay Rays.