Posted: 4:18 pm Saturday, October 12th, 2013
By Anthony Chiang
A full slate’s worth of ugly games in Week 7 kicked off the second half of the season.
Palm Beach Gardens came out of a sloppy matchup against Glades Central with a win. Royal Palm Beach beat Atlantic in a game that featured six turnovers. Boynton Beach couldn’t hold on to a 24-7 lead, losing its first game of the season. Yes, the Tigers had a 24-7 lead and gave it up. It was that type of week, but some teams came out of it with renewed hope as they prepare for the final four weeks of the season.
Here are the headlines on PBGametime from all of the Week 7 action:
* Royal Palm Beach kept its playoff hopes alive, using a strong running game to beat Atlantic. (Game Report)
* Boynton Beach lost its first game of the season, giving up a big lead against Fort Lauderdale-Dillard. (Game Report)
* Elsewhere, Lake Worth escaped with a close win over Palm Beach Lakes … Dwyer rolled over Forest Hill … King’s Academy bounced back against Oxbridge Academy … Seminole Ridge beat Santaluces in three overtimes … Elsewhere, find the rest of the recaps from Friday’s games in a full roundup.
In addition to all of that coverage, we have a new and improved mobile PBGametime site, which you can check out on your phones at m.pbgametime.com.
How did the Post’s Top 10 teams do?
1. Dwyer (7-0): Beat Forest Hill 49-0.
2. Fort Pierce Central (6-0): Beat Jacksonville-Mandarin 31-27.
3. Park Vista (5-1): Beat Jupiter 49-7.
4. Pahokee (5-1): Beat Boca Raton 31-14.
5. American Heritage (3-3): Idle.
6. Glades Central (3-3): Lost to Palm Beach Gardens 6-0.
7. Boynton Beach (6-1): Lost to Fort Lauderdale-Dillard 41-31.
8. Palm Beach Gardens (4-2): Beat Glades Central 6-0.
9. Royal Palm Beach (4-2): Beat Atlantic 30-12.
10. Palm Beach Central (3-3): Idle.
Will Glades Central’s loss drop them out of next week’s Top 10? On the other side of that result, did Palm Beach Gardens do enough to earn a spot in the top five. Boynton Beach is also in danger of falling out of the Top 10 after giving up a 24-7 lead. Cardinal Newman could be a team that takes advantage, as they are on the verge of cracking the the rankings.
1. Is Boynton Beach a legit contender?
Let’s revisit this question. A lot of fans have been arguing over this topic for the past couple of weeks. The Tigers faced a quality opponent in Fort Lauderdale-Dillard this week and lost. Boynton Beach had a 17-point lead and looked like it was going to make a statement, but a poor second half was enough for the Tigers to lose their first game of the season. So, in the end, it’s hard to answer this question right now. Boynton Beach showed flashes of brilliance, but also looked like a team that has never been in this position before. The Tigers will likely have to beat Hallandale to earn a trip to the playoffs, and that won’t be easy. Even if Boynton Beach makes it to the playoffs, a matchup with Miami Central, one of the top teams in the nation, looms in one of the first two rounds. Hey, look at the bright side, the Tigers have already set the single-season school record for wins this year.
2. Which 8A team is the best in Palm Beach County?
Palm Beach Gardens and Park Vista have separated themselves from the rest of the county’s 8A schools. The Gators have played very well recently, earning an impressive victory over Glades Central. But Park Vista is still the answer. Not only did the Cobras beat Gardens 28-19 earlier in the year, but their only loss came against nationally ranked Colerain (Ohio) in Cincinnati. Since that loss, Park Vista has won five straight. The Cobras are the answer to this question until further notice.
3. How good is West Boca Raton?
The Bulls are quietly having one of the best seasons in the county. West Boca is 5-2 with a win over Royal Palm Beach and are in position to make the playoffs. Even if the Bulls fall to Dwyer, they will still make it to the second season. Give credit to first-year Bulls coach Alphonso Moran. He has done a good job.
4. Pahokee wins again
After a huge win against American Heritage last week, Pahokee came back and beat a solid Boca Raton team Friday. The Blue Devils continue to show they are a legitimate threat in District 7-3A behind the success of junior running back McArthur Burnett. Next week’s district game between Cardinal Newman and Pahokee should be interesting.
How’s Jeff and Anthony do?
Jeff’s predictions record: 22-3
Best pick: Jeff was just two points away from correctly picking the Hallandale-Suncoast score. Hallandale won 43-10, and Jeff predicted a 45-10 Chargers victory.
Anthony’s predictions record: 19-6
Best pick: After correctly predicting the final score for a game the past two weeks, my streak came to an end in Week 7. The closest I got was picking Pahokee to beat Boca Raton 31-17. The actual score was 31-14.
About the Author
Anthony Chiang began his writing career in Gainesville at the University of Florida’s student-run newspaper. At The Independent Florida Alligator, he covered the school’s golf, volleyball, baseball, and football teams. The Miami native has also written for the Sun Sentinel and MLB.com, following the Tampa Bay Rays.