Posted: 8:43 am Saturday, January 11th, 2014
By Anthony Chiang
Dwyer quarterback Daniel Parr and coach Jack Daniels fell just short of adding on to a memorable football season.
Parr, who threw for 36 touchdowns and over 3,000 yards in his first year as the Panthers’ starting quarterback, placed fourth in the voting for the 2013 Mr. Florida Foootball Award. Miami Central running back Dalvin Cook, who is verbally committed to FSU, won the award.
Meanwhile, Daniels received the second-most votes, finishing behind Miami-Washington coach Tim Harris. for the 2013 Florida Football Coach of the Year. Daniels led Dwyer to its second state football title and its first undefeated football season in school history in 2013.
Here’s how the voting results looked:
2013 Mr. Florida Football voting results
1. Dalvin Cook (Miami Central) 147
2. Treon Harris (Miami-Washington) 135
3. Robert Thomas (Apopka) 116
4. Daniel Parr (Dwyer) 109
5. Sony Michel (Plantation American Heritage) 81
6. Caleb Lewis (Lakeland Victory Christian Academy) 42
7. D. J. Thomas (Baker) 40
8. Isaiah Ford (Jacksonville University Christian) 27
2013 Florida Football Coach of the Year
1. Tim Harris (Miami-Washington) 147
2. Jack Daniels (Dwyer) 98
3. Nate Hudson (Homestead-South Dade) 93
4. Roland Smith (Miami Central) 89
5. Andrew Thomas (Trenton) 87
6. Mike Rumph (Plantation American Heritage) 78
7. Mike Tunsil (Hialeah Champagnat Catholic) 56
8. Verlon Dorminey (Jacksonville University Christian) 49
About the Author
Anthony Chiang began his writing career in Gainesville at the University of Florida’s student-run newspaper. At The Independent Florida Alligator, he covered the school’s golf, volleyball, baseball, and football teams. The Miami native has also written for the Sun Sentinel and MLB.com, following the Tampa Bay Rays.