Posted: 11:31 am Monday, January 13th, 2014
By Anthony Chiang
The top of the rankings look a little different this week.
Grandview Prep held on to the No. 1 spot after beating Palm Beach Lakes. But Dwyer fell to No. 5 after suffering two losses last week.
Here’s the new Post Top 10:
1. Grandview Prep (11-2): Earned huge win over Palm Beach Lakes last week.
2. Palm Beach Lakes (13-1): Bounced back from first loss of season with victory against Dwyer.
3. Park Vista (16-2): Cobras have won eight of past nine games.
4. Martin County (14-3): A consistent and talented group that has impressed this year.
5. Dwyer (12-4): Fell to 3-2 in district play.
6. Lake Worth (11-4): Jonika Garvin recorded a triple-double for the Trojans in a win over Atlantic last week.
7. Suncoast (11-6): Chargers snapped two-game losing skid last week.
8. Cardinal Newman (15-6): On a five-game winning streak.
9. Boca Raton (8-5): Bobcats have had an up-and-down season so far.
10. West Boca Raton (10-7): Made a statement with a big win over Dwyer.
Games of the Week:
Teams are starting to separate themselves from each other and the playoff push is heating up. Let’s take a look at some of the most intriguing matchups this week.
No. 3 Park Vista (16-2) at No. 9 Boca Raton (8-5), Monday at 6 p.m.: On paper, the Cobras should win this game. Park Vista is on a roll, winning eight of its past nine games. Meanwhile, Boca Raton has been inconsistent. But this one will probably end up being close. The Bobcats fought hard against the Cobras earlier in the season, losing by just one point on Dec. 12. This time, Boca Raton will look to use its home court advantage to get the win over Park Vista.
No. 8 Cardinal Newman (15-6) at No. 5 Dwyer (12-4), Wednesday at 7 p.m.: This one will be fun. Dwyer just wants to forget about last week, after losing two games. On the other side, Cardinal Newman is one of the hottest teams in the area. Still, the Panthers will be the favorite in this one with star forward Keyanna Harris. However, Dwyer will have to find a way to stop Crusaders freshman Milan Morris, who is averaging a team-high 17.3 points per game this season. Morris has been great for Cardinal Newman, turning into one of the team’s leaders as a ninth grader.
No. 6 Lake Worth (11-4) at No. 5 Dwyer (12-4), Thursday at 7:30 p.m.: These two teams entered the season among of the area’s best. As we enter the final part of the regular season, Lake Worth and Dwyer haven’t disappointed. The Trojans are led by Jonika Garvin and the Panthers feature Harris, a Miami commit. The matchup between these two players will be a treat to watch. This game should go down to the wire.
About the Author
Anthony Chiang began his writing career in Gainesville at the University of Florida’s student-run newspaper. At The Independent Florida Alligator, he covered the school’s golf, volleyball, baseball, and football teams. The Miami native has also written for the Sun Sentinel and MLB.com, following the Tampa Bay Rays.